About Dr. Woods
The Dr. Woods House
Robert Theodore Woods, M.D. born in London Ontario November 7, 1870, graduated from the University of Western Ontario in 1895. He then practiced in Kansas until 1902, when he staked a homestead on Strawberry Creek in the Telfordville District west of Leduc.
He returned to Kansas in 1903 and travelled back to Leduc with his bride-to-be Olive Marie Hopkins, where they were married in the Methodist Rectory. They then returned to the Telfordville homestead, where Edwin was born in 1905. Daughter Marian was born in Leduc in 1915.
When Alberta became a province in 1905, Woods decided to resume his practice, but required a licence. There being no Alberta College of Physicians and Surgeons to certify him, he applied to the Alberta Legislature and was licensed by the enactment of a private member’s bill – introduced by MLA Robert Telford – in February, 1908. Five months later, he moved his family to Leduc where his mother, sisters Emma Jane and Kathleen, (a school Teacher) and brother-in-law and sister, Dr. and Mrs. James Baker already lived.
For a time, Woods had his office and patient accommodations above the Harness Shop on Main Street. The original building no longer exists, but the lot is now occupied by Leduc Draperies & Accessories, at 4718 50th Ave. He later moved his office to his home on Freeman Avenue (now 48th Street) across from the junior high school.